I don’t know about you, but sometimes, just the thought of keeping my home organized and clutter-free is exhausting.
I mean, some days, I’m aces if I just get the kids fed and to swimming on time. Thank God they are old enough to wake themselves, dress themselves and get their butts to school without much help from me.
But seriously, the dishes multiply, (as does the hair) and people just don’t value recycling the same way I do. In fact, it seems as if lately, any flat surface has been instantly transformed into the trash can of the moment. Ugh.
So, how do you do it? Short of throwing quilts in the oven and dirty socks under the bed?
Here are my tips for How to Get Organized When You are Completely Frazzled and Overwhelmed:
1. Start small – for example, pick one task to focus on, such as getting the dishes done every night. If you wake up to a clean sink, your day is going to magically be better!
2. Stick to short bouts of cleaning. 15 minutes is great! Go 30 minutes if you have the time and stamina.
3. Be consistent – try to pick a time of day that works for you at least three to four days a week. If you get into a routine, your days will make sense, and it will begin to be habit.
4. Identify your trouble areas – does that one kitchen counter get piled over with mail? Make that an important spot to check during the day.
Does the back door get blocked by thirteen pairs of dirty boots? Mark that down as a potential hazard and check there often!
5. Make a home binder with routines – writing down simple routines in a super cute notebook will help keep your brain from shorting out. There’s no need to remember everything if you don’t have to, so keep a few pages of morning, afternoon and evening routines in plastic page protectors and you can use a wet-erase marker to check them off each day.
If these tips make sense to you and you’re wanting more, you have to grab Bite Size Organize from The Happier Homemaker! She has everything organized into 90 days worth of tasks and it will make getting organized an absolute joy-fest.
Do you have any other quick tips for getting organized when you are completely frazzled and overwhelmed? Let us know down in the comments below!