This Salted Caramel Butter Toffee Trifle is probably one of the best desserts I’ve ever had. I could sit down with a giant-in-the-sky spoon and a dump truck filled with this trifle at a world-wide trifle eating contest and win first, second and third place.
(if i ate sugar. sigh)
But that doesn’t stop me from making it for a totally cool sixteen year old birthday boy who has the cutest smile on the planet.
That’s him breaking out the Will Smith dance moves in the doorway to the sanctuary. Oh, man. I’ve taught them well, haven’t I?
And that other little
Gwen ham, is Brendan. I’m blessed, I tell ya.
Anyway, Morgan loves this trifle as much as I and when he asked me to make it for his 16th birthday (YIKES! HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?), of course I said yes!
The recipe is below, but here is what you need:
- a chocolate brownie mix ( I use Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free)
- two tubs of extra creamy cool whip
- 2 boxes of Instant Chocolate Mousse
- a bag of Heath Candy Crunchies and a bottle of Salted Caramel Coffee Syrup
First, bake your brownies according to the mix instructions. Then grab a fork and make them pray for mercy.
At this point, they are probably standing in Tadasana and chanting “Om” to keep from jumping out of the pan.
Next, brush (or pour) on about a 1/3 cup of the Salted Caramel Coffee Syrup. This should soothe their pain a bit.
Then break up the brownies into a big, heaping mess like so:
If you are very disciplined, you can have one taste. But maybe, just have a second person there to whisk them away if you can’t hold onto your sanity and want to just pour them into your open mouth.
If you like this recipe, you’ll want to invest in a real Trifle Bowl. I got mine about twelve years ago at Tar-jay.
Take half the brownies and put them in the base of the bowl.
Whip up your Chocolate Mousse and pour half of it in on top of the brownies.
It’s VERY important to use the Mousse and not pudding. It’s so much thicker and richer. It makes ALL the difference in the world. If you’ve ever made a trifle with pudding, you won’t go back. I swear.
Next layer a WHOLE ENTIRE TUB of Extra Creamy Cool Whip. Again, the extra creamy part is vital. It’s like driving a Toyota Tercel for ten years and then winning the car lottery and getting a new Lexus. Same company… entirely different experience.
Now layer half of the Heath Crunchies on top of the cool whip.
How bad is it that I’m getting a sugar rush just writing this post?
Now repeat the process of brownies, mousse, cool whip and crunchies. Have you untied your hands yet?
You might want to. It’ll be hard to eat with just your face.
Though, It’s entirely possible. Hot Shot is a master at it. He ate Morgan’s eggs and bacon this morning when I had my back turned. It was pushed all the way back to the back of the counter, and he still got it.
You’d think I’d learn after ten years.
Anyway, the trifle was a big hit! They ate every last salted caramel, butter toffee morsel of it.
Here’s the recipe if you want to print it out and have your own Salted Caramel Trifle Eating Contest.
- 1 Box of Brownie Mix - I use Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free
- 2 Tubs of Extra Creamy Cool Whip
- 2 Boxes of Instant Mousse mix
- 1 Bag of Heath Crunchies
- ⅓ cup Salted Caramel Coffee Syrup
- Bake your brownies according to the instructions on the package.
- While they are still warm, prick with a fork and brush or pour the Salted Caramel Coffee Syrup onto them.
- Let them sit for a few minutes to soak up the syrup. Then break them up well.
- Make you Mousse according to the package instructions.
- Place ½ of the brownies in the bottom of the Trifle pan.
- Layer with ½ of the Mouse, Cool Whip and Heath Crunchies.
- Repeat layers.
- Chill for several hours or overnight.